When Should You Contact CNPS?
Call CNPS if any of the following occurs:
- any unusual occurrence or incident
- a patient or family member complains about your care
- you receive court documents or a notice that you are being sued
- you receive a warning or threat advising of intent to begin legal action or to sue
- you become aware of a request for information concerning a patient's record or care
- you are concerned that circumstances in your practice could result in legal proceedings
- you receive a subpoena or court order to appear as a witness
- the police wish to speak with you regarding your nursing practice or an event that occurred during the course of your practice
- any other circumstance in which you are unsure of your professional/legal obligations
When you speak with a nurse legal advisor at CNPS, please expect to provide your name, address, phone number, and nursing registration number. We collect this information to comply with our professional legal obligations and to ensure you are eligible for CNPS protection and services. Any information you provide to CNPS will remain confidential and will only be used for the purpose for which it was collected. It will not be divulged without your consent unless required by law. The information is also protected under solicitor-client privilege when it is provided to obtain legal advice. Please refer to the CNPS Privacy Code for more information on how we protect your privacy.
Avoid a gap in your protection
Pay your professional association / college fees by the prescribed deadline. When moving to another province / territory, maintain your membership with your former professional association / college until your new membership takes effect.
CNPS is here for YOU!
The Canadian Nurses Protective Society was created to serve you, the nurse, as a benefit of membership in your professional association / college. Do not hesitate to call CNPS if you have any questions or concerns.
Contact CNPS at:
1545 Carling Avenue, Suite 510
Ottawa ON K1Z 8P9
1.800.267.3390 or 613.237.2092
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (non-confidential messages only)
Office hours: Monday to Friday,
08:45 to 16:30 hours EST / EDT