Nurses can be personally named as defendants in a legal proceeding by patients who consider that they have suffered harm as a result of nursing care. A clinic or business entity within which health care services are provided can also be named as a defendant in a civil proceeding. Accordingly, nurses who own a professional corporation or nursing practice, or who operate a clinic or a business providing nursing services generally require additional liability protection for their business, in addition to their individual professional liability protection. For comprehensive business protection, CNPS beneficiaries can turn to the CNPS Plus insurance plan.
CNPS Plus is comprised of different business insurance products made available by reputable commercial insurers and structured by the CNPS in collaboration with the BMS Group, the exclusive insurance broker of CNPS Plus. The CNPS Plus program is designed primarily to provide comprehensive business coverage as a complement to the individual professional liability protection services provided by the CNPS.
The business coverage available within the CNPS Plus program includes:
- Clinic or corporate professional liability insurance: If the business is named as a defendant in an action for professional negligence for services provided in the name of, or within, the professional corporation, partnership or business entity.
- Directors and officers (D&O) liability insurance: To personally protect the members of the board of directors and the officers of the professional corporation for decisions made on behalf of the corporation.
- Commercial general liability insurance: If the business is named as a defendant in a claim alleging injury or property damage to a third party as a result of the commercial operation of the business or the premises. For instance, claims arising from a third-party slip and fall, property damage caused by an employee while providing services in a patient’s home, etc.
- Office content insurance: If business property is damaged or stolen.
- Cyber liability and privacy insurance coverage: If confidential information is inappropriately accessed.
For more information about the business insurance options available within the CNPS Plus program, or to access those options, please contact the BMS Group at email@example.com or at 1-855-318-6035.
CNPS for you, CNPS Plus for your business
The CNPS Plus policy year runs from February 1 to January 31.